Thursday, February 18, 2021

Gluten...free or not to free.........

 Who knew I liked celery? I certainly didn't until very recently. I used to love onions and garlic and now I can't really 'get along' with either. My goodness me, as if the eating of toffees, crocheting,  and starting to look at that funny little supplementary magazine that comes with the newspaper (the one with socks and reading glasses and ads for vitamins) wasn't enough of a clue that I am well on my way into OAP land, I am now trying to be gluten free. Why? because as I used to say on my other blog, I have an arse/belly/hips combo that is ...well...bigger that it all should be. I thought the belly might be bloating, so I'm trying the gluten free route. I am very well aware that I could just eat less cake/chocolate and move my arse more, but really, times are hard, this girl has to grab some happy where she can...please don't judge me! More movement is planned, and I now don't eat whole bars of chocolate, just a few squares.

In reality of course I am trying to 'be brave' and move myself forward into better ways of thinking and doing and being. So, as the Spring approaches, I want to try to make myself feel better about myself. I had a long walk this morning. Yesterday I bought myself a new lipstick. As soon as it opens, I want to book an appointment at the hairdresser. I am trying, with my thoughts, not to 'dress rehearse for disaster' but to only be concerned with the here and now and what I can and cannot control.

Really, each and every day I'm just trying to do the best I can with the light I have to see by.



26 comments:

  1. You could always eat half portions of everything. Same result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I could.....but I do struggle with self control!

      Delete
  2. Personal happiness is of utmost importance. Experimenting with different approaches to achieve this is always good. A quote I recently came across says: "The focus of your attention determines the quality of your life." So true. Shifting gears for greater pleasure/happiness is well worth it. Take care Libby. P.S., I have a vaccine appointment for Mar. 9. Yay...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about ever being happy again, but I would like to be content. Glad you have your jab booked.

      Delete
  3. Celery is nice. Celery with Philadelphia cream cheese spooned into it is even better! But good for you aiming to get into shape. You're doing better than I am at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have only just started using celery....mainly in
      slow cooker recipes that involve lots of chicken and potatoes! maybe I should just try eating a stick or two!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That is the problem! the girls are the same size but everything else feels tight....bra-less is the way to go at home now for me x

      Delete
  5. Celery and cheese whiz, celery and peanut butter. Celery dipped in humus. I'm a bad influence.

    If you know your hairdresser, call them now!! When ours reopened I had to wait three weeks for the first appointmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder about booking an appointment now...that is good advice..thanks.

      Delete
  6. Is it? it would be good to enjoy a stalk or stick of that more than cake that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only eat it as a salad, sometimes just on its own with a round of bread and butter and a little salt to dip into, or a Ryvita. I never "cook" with it, don't particularly like it in stews and casseroles!

      Delete
  7. I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life, including two pregnancies! My skinny jeans are waiting patiently in my wardrobe for the epiphany I keep waiting on to make me lose the blubber. I got my jab yesterday with 12 weeks to wait until shot no. 2. Hopefully, there won't be a new variant popping it's head up before then.Celery chopped up in salad covered with Caesar dressing is the only way I like it!Have a good weekend, Libs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet not being at work has maybe added a pound or two (but I expect you're still fabulous). Glad you got your jab..did you have any side effects?..x

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, my inactivity with having covid and enforced retirement has definitely helped to pile on the pounds. Also my grandaughter's new found love of baking cakes (triple layer coconut cake filled with buttercream icing on Wednesday!) certainly hasn't helped and the odd thing is, I really wasn't a cake-hand before!Yesterday was a bit of a 'blah' day after the jab but feeling much better today. xxx

      Delete
  8. ps meant to add, crochet's not just for Grannies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot eat just a few squares of chocolate I am fine as long as its unopened. Once it is I have no will power. My husband likes it so I buy it.what's your secret to just having a few squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just that once I've tasted the chocolate I've
      'scratched that itch'....but then I need to taste the cake and the crisps...sigh...

      Delete
  10. I went gluten free 18 months ago due to extreme stomach bloating (included having to undo bra to let out some of the bloating!) It feels good, and there is plenty of vegan chocolate out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I know what you mean about the bloating. I'm trying to do a little of gluten free and a little of non gluten free every day....if I could only do a 'little' it would be a start...

      Delete
  11. Life is short, eat the cake, and take an extra long walk everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is. I am trying to find a balance. I walked 9k this morning, so feel that I can enjoy my buttered hot cross bun now!

      Delete